The Duke Islamic Studies Center, the Duke University Middle East Studies Center, and Qatar Foundation International Present:
“Dimensions of the Middle East: Foundations, Cultures, and Geopolitics”
A Summer Institute for Grades 6-12 Educators
June 24-29, 2018
Duke University, Durham, NC
Join us for a five-day workshop this summer designed to introduce teachers to different dimensions of the Middle East. From social movements to geopolitics to cultures and more, teachers will deepen their understanding of both the historic and modern Middle East. Participants will learn from scholars and community experts, engage with authentic texts, and participate in experiential learning activities. Throughout the institute, teachers will think about how to bring these themes into their classrooms and will work in groups or individually to develop curriculum or materials for classroom use.
For the full program description, please download the program announcement here or visit here.
- This institute is open to currently practicing educators teaching in grades 6-12 in the United States.
- Applicants must continue teaching in the next consecutive school year.
- Given the themes of this institute, this program is open to teachers in the social sciences/humanities and arts fields.
Cost – All expenses will be covered for selected participants including:
- Course materials
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Sunday, March 25, 2018 at 5:00 pm EST
Notification Date: Tuesday, April 10, 2018
To apply, please visit Qatar Foundation International’s Grants Management Portal, FluidReview, at http://qfi.fluidreview.com/ and register to create an account and apply.
- For any programmatic questions, please contact Emma Harver at email@example.com.
- For any questions regarding the application process or FluidReview, please contact Craig Cangemi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about the experience of teachers who participated in the 2017 summer institute, please visit here.