The Connecticut Geographic Alliance is an organization of educators, business people and other citizens dedicated to improving geographic education in Connecticut. Our members include teachers and administrators from most Connecticut towns, geography and education faculty from the state’s colleges and universities, and concerned citizens in business and government.
Our organization is part of the National Geographic Society’s Geographic Alliance Network. Alliance activities are supported by an endowment from the National Geographic Society Education Foundation. In addition, the University of Connecticut provides a home base for the Alliance in its Geography Department.
The mission of the Connecticut Geographic Alliance is to promote the increase and diffusion of geographic literacy, foster geospatial innovation in geographic education, and encourage stewardship of the earth’s natural and cultural resources through education in Connecticut.
- Advocating for student mastery of 21st century skills through geography as a core subject area;
- Offering geography programs at the primary and secondary levels;
- Providing content, skills, and professional development programs for educators who use geography to address topics across disciplines;
- Implementing the National Geography Standards as an integral part of the Connecticut Social Studies curricula.
The Connecticut Geographic Alliance envisions a future for our state in which innovative and outstanding geographic education will be a foundational element of all levels of our educational system’s curricula. As a result, all of our citizens will have the opportunity to attain a high level of geographic literacy and be able to understand how human and natural systems connect places to each other. Such comprehension will enable and empower the people of Connecticut to think and act as thoughtful and responsible stewards of the Earth’s natural and cultural resources.
Hands-on workshops that focus on:
- Geography Standards
- Geography Content
- Environmental Themes
- Interdisciplinary–Social Studies, Science, Math, Literature and the Arts
- Technology and Geography
- Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT)
- Workshops related to the national and state geography standards
- Assistance to district level and/or building level staff in geography curriculum revision
- Assistance to individual geography teachers in planning and implementing learning activities based on the geography standards
- Assistance in identifying and obtaining resources to aid teachers in utilizing the geography standards
We also offer Family Geography, PTO or Board of Education Programs
For specific arrangements regarding fees, contact Laura Krenicki, our Professional Development Coordinator, at KrenickiLaura@yahoo.com. Fees for curriculum consulting will vary depending on the task.